Books

There is a book exhibition on in our Campus - 20% off on the books. I just came back from there - bought a book for my "Invest Savy" husband - Intelligent Investor by Richard Graham... I spent money to buy a book that speaks of how to invest money ha ha ha .... I know it is a Poooooor J ....

Books have always fascinated me from a very young age, and I give the entire credit to my mother for inculcating the reading habit in me. Ever since I can think of, My mother has always made it a point that I read some comic or novel ... I have a huge collection of "Tinkle", which I am very proud of ... I have been buying Tinkle's from the time they costed 2/- to 2.50/- to 4.00/- to 5.00/- to 7.00/- to 10.00/- .... During the same time, I would get lots of Amar Chitra Katha, Anderson's Fairy Tales and other tiny-tot stories as gifts from amma ... Rarely we would buy Champak at the Railway station .... One scene of my childhood still always hovers in front of my eyes ... a kutti Vidhya proudly holding about 8 Fairy Tale books (those thin long books - i don't remember the publisher , which had big pictures and little text about the fairy tale) and riding the rickshaw in Talcher, these were my gifts from my Hari Mama...

Slowly I progressed to reading Enid Blyton's - I savoured the 'Famous Five' and 'Find Find-outers'.. somehow I felt "Secret Seven" was very kiddsih even at a very young age.. Every now and then we would madly search the neighbouring area for Libraries ... Books were indeed expensive and people did not earn as we do these days to be buying loads of books - they had lots of commitments and less money ... Buying one small book was such a big celeberation at that time ... I would wait for my b'days - for I was sure my mother would surprise me with one of my favourite books ...

I consumed all the books in my local library in a short span. And the librarian would refuse to get new books ... To Assuage my thirst for books, we took a membership in a library 3 stops from home .. I would cycle there every friday and get my then favourite "Nancy Drew". I am sure at some point or other, every ardent book reader must have idolized Nancy drew(girls) and Hardy Boys(boys).... I soon completed all the titles he had .... and then where do I go ? Luck struck in the form of my school library... Every week, we would have 2 peiods of library where we could read the books stocked in the library ... After Class 7, we could borrow books for home ... I would always be the first in the line to pick up a book (soon the librarian and me became thick buddies) ... Even while Sunitha moved to picking "Agatha Christie", I still stuck to my Carolyn Keene's and Enid Blyton's .. Today, when AC is my favourite writer, I cannot imagine that at the age of 14 I disliked her writings ...

Then came into my life the fantasy of every teen girl ... the ever popular, ever favourite , always short-lived in memory - M'n'B s - There would be no teen gril, who has never sampled this deliciously tinging sweet dish, specially churned out to satisfy the appetities of yearning , rosy-eyed teen minds ... I still remember the fight for MnBs at hostel in college ... how we would read only those "Specific" pages and sigh at the description of the TDH Hunky-dory, smart, intelligent, can-do-anyting-in-the-world hero ... and always wishing why we were not like the dainty, doll-like,fair,blue-doe-eyed, princess-like heroine, who always fell in into the arms of the hero every second ..... And as it happens to everybody, I got very very vexed with them , very very soon ....

I could go on and on about books , one of my passions ... Let me continue this later ... So much for today ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Cup Cake

Chocolat(i) Chunnu.... Biscutta Bunnu.....

Cashew Pista Ladoo