Birthdays

I really have not been feeling like writing since a long time ... but today thought would write this blog in dedication to my dearest husband .... who is celeberating his b'day today ....
Till a certain point in age, b'days are such important events in life, you could call the most important ... For many middle class families, it is one of those very very few days when you get a new dress ...
As a teeny-weeny kid, till the age of 3 one hardly remembers what b'days are .... but it is these years that are celeberated with lots of pomp and grandeur ... I can recall one of the recent b'day bashes that i heard of , where the IT couple spent close to half a lakh on their kid's 1st b'day .... wonder if such extravagance is really needed.... neither the kid nor the parents remember it a few years later ... You get the biggest cake in your life on your 1st b'day when you can hardly eat it ...
I remember the first b'day cake that I cut was on my 7th b'day , which was when my parents could afford such a treat .... a quiet b'day it was , with the kids nearby getting a small pencil box , a magic pencil and an eraser (mind you all of these at that age was something quite BIG for us little kids - not for kids of this age , who have nearly 2 dozen pencils in their kitty even before they know what it is used for).....
In School , b'days were particularly important because i got to distribute chocolates to all my class students and wear my b'day dress to school !!!!! a brand new dress .... And i would distribute them in my favourite period only !!! .... I would always pray for my b'day to be on a Friday/Wednesday (wonder why i had the penchant for those two days) ... and if my date of birth happened to be on a day which did not have my favourite classes , i would insist on celeberating my "star" birthday ....
My "best" friend would get the golden opportunity of accompanying me to distribute chocolates to the teachers of other sections of my Grade ... This often cause me lots of problems , for i had many "good" friends, and if i chose one the other got angry ....
I wanted amma to pack me only pooris or lemon rice on my b'day and nothing else .... plain old idlis or curd rice would not even be looked upon on those days ....
The bestest part of my b'days have always been the wonderful and meaningful gifts that amma gave me ... sometimes it was my fav book, or my fav game, or my 'current' fav soap, or a pair of ear-rings or a wind chime .... amma always had this wonderful knack of knowing what i wanted and getting it for me ... I would love this suprise every year on the morning of my b'day ....
Today , b'days are just another day , where you feel nothing but that you have grown old ... Just after college, almost every friend would remember every other friend's b'day ; but as years passed by very few would call/mail and wish you ......
Growing old certainly is no fun ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Cup Cake

Chocolat(i) Chunnu.... Biscutta Bunnu.....

Cashew Pista Ladoo